B.Sc., M.D., CM FRSC (1918-1984)
Professor Edward Llewellyn-Thomas joined the University of Toronto as a part-time lecturer in Pharmacology in 1959 and became a full-time member of the Faculty in 1963, and here pursued his research in pharmacology and biomedical engineering. He was appointed as the first Associate Director of the Institute of Biomedical Electronics that had been established in 1962 under the direction of Professor Norman Moody. In this capacity he provided a direct link to the Faculty of Medicine, as well as, to the many associated medical research groups in the surrounding hospitals. These were responsible for establishing new interdisciplinary research projects for the Institute staff and graduate students.
In April 1984, Dr. Walter Zingg organized the Institute’s first Scientific Day. Professor Edward Llewellyn-Thomas gave the keynote address to open the scientific sessions. Sadly, he passed away in July of that year. Several days following this unfortunate incident, Dean Lowy of Medicine and Dean Slemon of Applied Science and Engineering appointed a committee to consider a fitting memorial for Professor Llewellyn-Thomas, a physician, writer andeducator. Hence, the Edward Llewellyn-Thomas Lecture was established in his memory.